Throughout its 125-year history, The Singers’ Club of Cleveland has presented the finest music for men's voices, dynamic young soloists, and internationally known guest artists.
Through a scholarship program, local voice students receive stipends to continue their music education. The Club commissions and performs music for the enjoyment of its audiences and as a lasting contribution to the musical literature..
Organized at the request of the Cleveland YMCA in November 1891, The Singers’ Club presented its first concert on May 19, 1892 at Association Hall; the event was artistically and financially successful. From the beginning, membership reflected a cross section of the greater Cleveland area, with men of varied backgrounds, professions and avocations sharing a love for fine choral music..
As the Club expanded in size, so did its repertoire. Membership auditions and dues were instituted, and the awarding of scholarships for music students was established. On several occasions, The Singers’ Club appeared with The Cleveland Orchestra in Severance Hall..
Former conductors have included Melvin P Unger, Albert Rees Davis, Beryl Rubinstein, Boris Goldovsky, George F. Strickling, Robert M. Stofer, Frank Hruby and Thomas Shellhammer..
Notable guest artists have included Tito Schipa, Nelson Eddy, Fred Waring, Eunice Podis, Sherrill Milnes and Mark Doss..